Hardware Customer Engineer
Imagination Technologies is one of the world’s fastest growing and most exciting technology companies. Rapidly climbing the FTSE250 on the London Stock Exchange, the breadth of technologies and markets it serves involves working with most of the biggest and best semiconductor, consumer electronics, multimedia and app content developers and industry partners in the world. Our technologies feature in many of the world’s most exciting products, from the latest smartphones, tablets and media players to the future wireless home, connected multimedia-rich cars and much more.
The PowerVR graphics team produces the world’s leading family of ultra-low power GPU IP cores for mobile and embedded applications. With unrivalled performance per mm2 and per mW, PowerVR GPUs have already shipped in more than half a billion products, with hundreds of millions more being shipped every year. And with GPU Compute the latest hot topic, and the latest games and user interfaces in the hottest apps, this is one of the most exciting engineering teams anywhere.
The Customer Engineering department is responsible for all aspects of delivering and supporting Imagination’s technology deliverables to a wide range of semiconductor and software partners. A key goal is to ensure that Imagination’s technology gets to market as fast as possible by providing the necessary support and training to our licensees. This position supports deployment of cutting edge Graphics, Video, Display and Communications IP cores and associated software drivers into a wide range of customer platforms and OEM devices. The role involves working with leading semiconductor and software companies on cutting edge products. An excellent opportunity to gain knowledge and training on both Imagination specific technology areas and the overall process and lifecycle of how leading edge system on chip devices and software are designed, put into production and maintained.
Primary responsibilities will include
- Working directly with our customers to manage interactions and projects
- Solving customer issues related to the use of those product deliverables
- Training customers in the use of product deliverables
- Solve customer issues
- Provide first level analysis of issues raised and answer directly where possible
- Assign and track issues with Customer Engineering and development teams where appropriate
- Track issues to closure
- Drive development and delivery of product training programs, at customer sites where required
- Supporting product delivery at customer sites as required
- Tracking and delivering customer commitments for deliverables and training
- Ability to communicate technical subjects in both written and oral form
- Understanding of RTL synthesis and simulation tools and gate level debug
- Experience with Simulation Tools – Cadence NCSIM, Synopsys VCS or similar
- Experience with Synthesis Tools – Synopsys Design Compiler/DCT/DC Ultra or similar
- Experience of Formal Verification tools – Conformal/Formality
- Understanding of the IP licensing process
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and spoken English Language
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in a hardware digital design role
- Some domain experience in graphics(must) and/or video encode/decode/ISP(plus)
- Experience with Graphics pipeline design/implemention, verification program, performance analysis
- Knowledge of VHDL/Verilog, knowledge of verification
- Integration of IP cores into an SoC environment, knowledge of bus interface protocols e.g. AXI, OCP
- Previous experience of giving internal customer training/presentations or liaison with external vendors
- Experience of working with externally supplied Intellectual Property
- Can travel/onsite to customer, working under pressure
- Excellent communication skills are key
- Ability to prioritise and organise tasks in a calm manner and with a focussed approach
- Tenacious problem solving ability
- Can do, positive attitude and able to work proactively and independently
- The Customer Engineering team consists of a highly motivated and highly knowledgeable team of both software and hardware engineers located in the UK, US and Asia/Pacific. A successful candidate will be based in a small office environment plus visits to customer sites and travel to the UK and other company R+D sites.
- Minimum of a second class honours degree or equivalent in an electronics related course.
- The role has great benefits for a candidate who is looking to get involved in a customer facing role having spent time within a design role. Unlike a purely design role, this position enables the full product lifecycle to be observed and the ability to contribute directly to high profile customer projects makes this a very responsible position which can be extremely rewarding, very quick, for the right applicant.
- Working with cutting edge technology within an environment small enough to allow the successful candidate to make a fundamental contribution
- Workings with the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturers